Sunday, October 12, 2008

Abbey Language

We all know that Abbey has her own language. Lately she has been trying very hard to have real conversations... her vocabulary just isn't there yet. And the things she does say can be really hard to understand. But it is really cute to listen to her! Can you understand what she is saying?

(this was conference weekend, after we saw the neighbor's horses and were driving back to Tim's parents to put Abbey down for a nap)

Let me translate for you... she mentions that the horses are not to get out, she tells them bye and to go to sleep (sleepy), she says she is going home and tells us about feeding the ducks, she says she loves mom (mommies), she says she is going to take a nap and go to sleep (sleepy) so mommy can go on a date! (I don't know how she got that idea!, maybe because I was telling her that she was going to stay with Grandma and we were going to go home?!? - a date?)

To feel like what I have said to her has sunken in... I always end with "Okay" and wait for her to tell me "tay." She has gotten in a very bad habit of telling someone something and then saying "tay!" I think we are going to have to put her in some speech therapy... she didn't qualify for the free therapy the state gives... so does anyone know of any other programs?

4 comments:

David Merrill Family said...

Connie,

I talked with Caroline Waldo on Friday night. Her 4 year old is in the preschool because he has speech troubles. Caroline said she was very frustrated with him and kept trying to understand him. But she called her school distict and asked if she could get an appt. with CHILD FIND. They went and he was evaluated and accepted into the school's program when he turned 3. A side note...I got so I could understand her pretty well when she stayed her. She would give me a look when I would say "tell me again". Thank you for letting her come.

JDH Blog said...

I think Miss Abbey is getting better! She probably does need speech therapy though... like mother like daughter? : ) She was somewhat normal today with Johnny over... that was fun. Can't wait for the Carne Asada!!

Carrie Elder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie Elder said...

The comment above is from me, Carrie... I wasn't signed into my blogger account. Obviously it's Johnny's!