Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Mystery No Longer

Remember my post awhile ago about the mystery tree in my back yard? We figured it out today. Would you guess what it is by seeing a picture of the growing fruit like this one?...
I was still stumped. Then I found one ripe on the ground. We cut it open and it looked like this...
I was still stumped. How about you? Would you guess that it is a GUAVA? Yep, thats what our mystery tree is. Abbey and I rather enjoyed eating our first guava (after I looked up what the heck the fruit was and if it was edible). Turns out you can eat the whole thing, skin and all. It was really good. Kind of a cross between a strawberry and apple. It was soft and juicy. I was impressed and Abbey was too, seeing that she ate her whole half with out hardly any hesitation.
If you want to try a Guava, let me know. I will pick one for you when they get more ripe. Looks like we will have a lot of them this year. Who knew?

5 comments:

Heidi Joncas said...

Guava!?! That was the last thing I would have thought. I want to try one some day.

Jill said...

Whoa! I've never that that before! Good for you, what a nice surprise. :)

David Merrill Family said...

do you have tons of them? How big are they? And are they riping all at once? Just curious. I thought from your previous pix that they were probably limes.

Carrie Elder said...

Cool! The only time I had a guava was in Hawaii, and it tasted really bad! I would like to try one of yours! Sounds better than the one I had in Hawaii...go figure!

CHRISTINE said...

I wanna try one! I love all of your new pictures and the new background. I can't beleive how big Benjamin is getting! Let's do lunch again, only the next time without my kids!! :)