Saturday, July 26, 2008

Food Network Connoisseur

To save a little money when we moved into the new house, we opted to go with the family basic plan with our dish company. That means a lot less channels to choose from. No TBS, no TLC, no Discovery, no E! and many other that were my day time favorites. I get plenty of Nickelodeon and Boom Cartoons though! So I have had to change up my viewing preferences when Abigail isn't ruling the remote and my network favorites are on strike or summer break. I found we have the ID and Bio channel which loves to air all those murder, forensic science programs... you know what I'm talking about... Snapped, Notorious, 48 Hours Hard Evidence, Deranged, and The New Detectives to name a few. These have always been a favorite of Tim and mine. However, I began to notice that only watching these stories one after another started to make me feel paranoid and zombie like. It got really bad there for awhile since Tim works evenings. Lets put it this way... I would have trouble feeling comfortable enough to fall asleep easily without my police trained husband laying beside me!! After about a month I had to stop, it was too disturbing!! I have now really gotten into the Food Network channel. I have watched it before and liked it but now I set the timer to record some of my favorites. I absolutely love the Challenge show! The Challenge show, for the majority, has pastry chefs compete each other in making an awesome cake in about 7 hours! I love to bake so it is so intriguing to me to watch them create and decorate these cakes. Plus there is a women judge (can't remember her name right now) that is really witchy like Simon on Idol. The other show I record is Ace of Cakes. Chef Duff makes the coolest cakes and I love all the people that work in his shop... they are really funny and abstract people! You wouldn't think these people would choose to take their artistic talents and apply it to cake decorating. Anyway, I think my new dream is to go to pastry school some day. Even though I'm not too artistic, I am a perfectionist... that's something right?!? Oh, and I still watch those murder stories... just on days with Tim home at night and even then very sparingly!!

(The cake above is Ace of Cakes Harry Potter's Hogwarts Academy Castle... They took it to the movie premier!)

5 comments:

Carrie Elder said...

I also share your love for Ace of Cakes... it's so entertaining! It's fun to watch the recorded episodes with you:) You would be great at making pastries Con! That would be so cool!

CHRISTINE said...

I like those shows too! When we had cable I would watch the Ace of Cakes. Very cool!

Jill said...

I LOVE watching the cake competitions! John does too...we think it would be a fun hobby! :)

David Merrill Family said...

I must be a dud....I don't like those cake shows at all. I jsut like Paula Dean.
Mom

Chris and Tenielle said...

I totally know what you mean about the scary t.v. shows. But I would not expect you to like them... weren't you the one that would plug your ears when we were telling scary stories at the pool?
Anyhow, I used to love Cold Cases and the same paranoid feeling crept up on me as well! However, I still can't go to bed without Chris next to me, police trained or not! There's just something about them being there that makes you feel so much better!