Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Big Kid



Michael has surprised me. I was expecting to have a terrible two plus ten when Benjamin arrived. But Michael is far from the plus ten part, and most of the time isn't even the terrible two part. (Ironically its Abigail who is being the terrible four!)

It was like something clicked as soon as he turned two and his little brother came home. He is a big kid!
(riding his bike like a big kid!)

One of the biggest "big kid" milestones has been tackled and accomplished. Michael is potty trained! I was dreading potty training a boy, but he was no problem. With the exception of him being terrified to go number two for about a week or two. Literally he was shaking, crying and telling me it "scared" him. He even jumped once when it plopped in the bowl (so funny). He would be so sad sitting on the toilet. You haven't seen a sad face until you see Michael's, full on lip pout and big sad, down turned brown eyes... quite the sight.
(in his undies, he loves all of his pixar undies except Nemo, who knows why not!, notice his favorite blankie in both pics, not too grown up for blankie!)
(this is a small version of the pout, look at those lips!)


He is such a big kid that he will remind you not so gently sometimes. Mostly he does this with Tim. Like telling him "I know how to walk Dad" when Tim was trying to lead him with his hand on Mike's head. Or telling me he can brush his own teeth, pick out his shoes, or wash his own hair and body in the bath (which he does do with moms help). Oh, and lets not forget how he can get in and out of the car all by himself (after an annoying ten minutes!!).

The big kid attitude has arrived too. Tim caught Abigail and Michael laying on the floor watching TV while kicking the entertainment center loudly. He took the toys away they were playing with as punishment. Michael turned to Abigail and said, "good job Abbey."

What a good big kid. He still my little boy though. I love his sensitive soul. I love how he gives me random kisses (on my leg, on my arm, on my back, where ever he can reach at the time) and always wants to follow it up with a hug. I love how he wants to give Ben a kiss all the time. I love how he shares with his big sister (even when she doesn't deserve it). I love his big brown eyes (just like Tim's), pouty lips and big cheeks. And I am proud of him taking the older brother and big kid role so well.

No comments: