Thursday, May 6, 2010

Spring Miracles

We had a mommy and daddy bird busy building a nest in the palm tree right out or front window. A few weeks later I noticed two little babies. You can see one by the mommy's chest in the picture. It was fun to have a front row seat to watch them and show Abbey and Mike.
My mom use to tease us kids, saying we were little baby birds wanting food. I can see why she would say that since watching that mommy bird feeding her eager babies. Especially now that I have little baby birdies of my own, eager and begging for food all the time!
One morning the birds were gone. Then a new family moved in. The mommy has been sitting on her eggs for awhile. Kind of makes me wonder what happens to the daddy bird. He builds the nest and then just leaves? Abbey thinks he is away at work! Anyway, I have been waiting to see the little babies. This morning, after putting Abbey on the school bus, I noticed the mommy bird was gone (very rarely is she gone). So I quickly went to see if I could see anything inside the nest from my window. Nothing! Tim said there were two eggs in there... what happened!! I ran out side and looked around the palm tree. I saw the cracked pieces of the shell, but where was the bird? Looking closer I saw a little baby, very new born, laying on the ground. In my heart I knew it was a lost cause, but I still wanted to try to save that baby. I got a towel and picked it up, then woke Tim up to put it back in the nest. Mommy bird still hasn't come back. I hope she does.

6 comments:

Heidi Joncas said...

I love all your new posts!! :)

Carrie Elder said...

It is a miracle that you posted something finally! I love all the pictures... look at Abbeys beautiful smile in the car, mega watt smile like her mama. Mike is a big boy... and it happened fast! I will never forget how talkative he was that one night I came over, so cute. And baby Ben, oh my goodness. Words can't even express... you know I love that baby!! The pictures of Abbey and Mike with the baby powder and pink ink were priceless! And Abbey pretending to be asleep in the car was hilarious!! I hope they didn't drive you too crazy when you were trying to post all this! Haha!
Love you!

Tim and Connie said...

Sorry guys I just checked and the baby birdie died. Sad day for baby Momma bird. :( -Tim-

David Merrill Family said...

I am so sad. Some of natures lessons aren't nice. It was a sweet post, Connie.

CHRISTINE said...

Oh that poor baby bird. Leave it up to Connie to go get it and try to save it! Such an animal lover...well, except for your naughty dogs! :) How fun that you can watch them from your window. We just got those Earth and Ocean dvd's and it has been fun watching and learning all about the animals...so interesting! Connie, all of your pictures are so gooooood! That Benjamin is a good looking kid! I can surely see some of his mama in him...can't tell for sure, but there's something!! I love the way you tell a story. I always have! It's fun reading your blog and I'm glad you found some time to post! Thanks so much for your help yesterday! Love u!

Porter and Karla said...

okay so christine says how darn cute this little addition is and i must agree! and the picture of the three kids in a row with carseats... that is #1 on my list on why i need to wait to have baby #3.