Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Parenting

Lately (meaning for the last few months), I have been hearing


from my oldest child. To get the full effect, you must read it in a pouty and frustrated way with your arms folded and brows furrowed. This is her response when I question her why she did something naughty. (can't wait until those teen years if she already throws this out at four!)
Some examples of "things" she wants to do that are naughty...
(baby powder in the wee hours of the morning)

(here are Abigail and Michael with pink ink from a stamp pad, notice that they have pj's on again, so its in the morning while I am trying to get a little extra sleep, you think I would learn)



Yeah... don't we all "want to do the things we want to do!", even if it is naughty!

If she could only understand... Doing the "things" that you want to do when its not good, makes mommy take away the "things" you want to do that are good as punishment!

Contrary to what she might think, I don't like taking away or not giving her the "good" as punishment. I want those good things for her as much as she does! But how can a four year old understand this in the heat of the moment?

Then I think to myself, this must be the frustrations of our Heavenly Father. We want to do the things we want, even when its naughty. And as a result, it gives away or doesn't allow us to have those "good" blessings. He doesn't want us to not receive the "good" blessings. He wants them for us as much as we do. I would even say He wants them for us more, because He understands them more! But how do you make a earthly being see that in the heat of the moment?
Come to think of it, maybe I have some growing up to do too...

2 comments:

Heidi Joncas said...

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who's kids do sneaky things while I am trying to catch a few extra zzzz's in the morning.

August and Melissa said...

Oh my heck!!! That is just too funny!