Saturday, May 15, 2010

Thoughts

(my Hubby and Mike, waiting for Abbey to get home on the bus)

I love my husband. Tim is everything and more to me. I rely on him a lot. He always tells me that I am stronger than I think. I usually don't think so.

However, I have learned something about me. When Tim is around I don't want to be strong. But when he is gone, like out of town for a few days gone, I am strong.

Tim had training in Flagstaff Monday through Wednesday this week. I was by myself with all three kids for the first time. I wasn't really looking forward to this fact. But I have to say, it felt... well...good! Sound weird? Let me explain why...

I found waking up at the crack of dawn with my little ones a whole lot easier. We also stuck to our routine a lot more: breakfast, dress, hair, teeth, outside for bus. Not only on time.. but even ahead of time. I found that I got a lot more done around the house, deep cleaning the bathroom and moping included in those three days (very rare to get those things done within a week of each other). I had dinners planned and even stretched and tried a new spaghetti sauce recipe, which was really good. Oh, and family home evening got done with just me to keep the kids still and reverent. But most of all, I found my attitude towards my kids was a lot more easy going, light hearted and patient. In return the kids were the same.

Now don't get me wrong. Things weren't perfect. There was still the whining and fighting. There was still a tired mom (1:30 rolls around and its a struggle to stay awake). And there was definitely still the missing of a dad and husband. But all in all, I found myself able to handle it. I was strong, and it felt good. I was organized and up to the task.

Why was it easier to be strong and do these day to day duties while Tim was gone? Mostly because with out him here, there is no one else to share and help in those duties. Its just me and I know this. I have to do it! It forced me to be strong. I felt like my mom a little. When my dad was gone in the army or on his flying rotation. And that made me feel good too. I think of my mom and I see a strong lady who was the greatest mom. I want to be like her.

When Tim got home Wednesday evening it was exciting for all of us. It was so nice to have his help with dinner and getting the kids in bed. It was so satisfying to watch him play with the kids. It was so fun to sit on the couch with him and relax watching our shows together. It was so comforting to have him sleeping next to me. It was nice to have someone to rely on once again. But I made a resolve to myself. I want to be strong while Tim is home, just like when he is gone. I think he needs me to be strong right now (he has been the strong one a lot these last few years with mom's passing). And I think I'm finally in that place where I can be strong now.
(Mother's day, over at Christine and Jared's house)

4 comments:

Heidi Joncas said...

These are good thoughts Connie. I really liked reading this post.

Carrie Elder said...

Sister, you are oh so strong! I am in awe of you constantly! I have been in a funk since mom died too... can't really explain it, just not how I was before. We are able to live our lives with this huge hole in our hearts finally. You remind me a lot of mom. And so does Christine AND Cameron! I am trying to dust myself off and square my shoulders and be a big girl! We can do it! But you've been a tough cookie.
Love the picts of Mothers Day... especially the one with Abbey smiling in the back ground...funny; ) Can't wait for the next Lost! Love you!

CHRISTINE said...

Oh I so know what you are talking about...what's the deal? When Jared is home I feel like I wait around for him to do things...it's weird. Not that I want to be alone without my husband...no way! Thank you so, so much for always being STRONG and willing to help me out. I really appreciated you coming over Tues and Wed to help with swim. You are THE BEST! BTW, you guys will have to get out again and see Robin Hood...very good. Your pictures are looking FANTASTIC! I too loved the Mother's Day pictures. Very nice. Love you so much! Call anytime you need anything. PS-Let's take Carrie out for some dinner soon!

David Merrill Family said...

I love this post, Connie. Tim is right....you are a strong girl. Your mom would be so pleased with you...oh, I am sure she is!