Sunday, May 9, 2010

oops!

I'm almost embarrassed to write this down on my blog, but its pretty funny. Just don't judge me!!

(Abbey getting off the bus, home from preschool)



I have a habit that I'm not proud of. I sometimes let a bad word slip. Nothing horrible... just the h-e-double l word, "d" word and the beloved "s" word. The "s" word can be hilarious to me, it has something to do with the shhhh part. I would say that its my favorite and choice curse word. I'm aware of my habit, so I have tried to conquer it. And I thought that I was doing a pretty good job since having children. I replace the bad word with the common shoot or my favorite, shiii (no "t"). Although, I have let the whole "s" word slip when scared (again, not proud of that). Now... I don't remember my mom saying curse words. Hardly ever did she utter those naughty words during my childhood. I think all of us siblings remember maybe three times. I hope my kids remember the same about me. However, I don't think that will be the case with Abbey...

Last Friday while getting Abbey ready for school, I noticed we were running five minutes late. Not a big deal since we get outside at least ten minutes early so the kids can play and ride bikes while waiting for the bus. However, I'm always aware that the bus can, on rare occasion, come early. So I kind of freak out when I'm not out there early (some weird fear I have, probably stemming from childhood, that the bus will leave). I was telling Abbey to put her shoes back on while I was getting ready to put my shirt on, all the while opening the door so I could hear when and if the bus arrived. And to my horror, I heard a idling diesel bus. (My house is placed so I can't see the street)

So I said, "Shiii, Abbey, put on your shoes your bus is hear, HuRRy!!" She looked at me all freaked out while I was frantically putting my shirt on. She started putting her shoes back on and grabbing her backpack while I continued to say "hurry! your bus is here!" As I was unlocking the security screen door, I hear Abbey by my side saying over and over, "Oh ShiT, Oh ShiT, hurry, hurry!" For a split second I didn't notice. As she continues to go on all frantic, I stop her and asked her what she said. She said "ShiT!" I couldn't help but laugh and tell her, "no, we say shoot... Oh shoot!" She repeated shoot.

Great, shiii obviously is too close to the real word!

Saturday rolls around, Tim is out in the garage doing a project with Abbey playing around. Tim comes in and proceeds to tell me this little story. Abbey had a hammer and was hitting small rocks from the front yard. She hits one and it breaks. It must have shocked her and she probably thought she was in trouble for breaking something. So she says "Oh ShiT!" Tim asked her what she said and she told him she said "Shoot."

Doubly great! Now she is lying about saying a bad word.

Looks like mom is in the Shiii!

4 comments:

Carrie Elder said...

Oh dear; ) They've probably heard Aunt Carrie say some naughty words too!! It's a bad habit to break! I don't think any less of you. Happy Mothers Day!

porter and karla said...

no judgement passed here:)i have never really been a curser but my days have seemed oh so crazy this past month and i catch myself wanting to just yell the d word. yelling it would even be greater. i dont of course but feel it would help me be less stressed for some odd reason?

David Merrill Family said...

A sister in our ward told this story. Her little boy used the Lord's name in vain. She told him
that was a "bad" word to say like that. Later she hears him in his bedroom singing, "I am a child of a bad word". At least Abbey has the right idea about usage....only when it matters. Love you both, anyway :)

CHRISTINE said...

I still can't stop laughing! I am glad you didn't tell me this in person when I saw you...it was so great reading it! I needed this laugh today!!! That is the funniest thing ever. I love how you didn't even realize at first that she was saying it!! I am surprised my kids haven't caught on to me yet! I really don't use them that often...just like you, when I am scared or when there's poop on the carpet or me. Yuck. Good luck to the both of you, and Abbey, on breaking the habit! :)